Friday 8 May 2009

Just Not Disciplined Enough

I will probably take the weekend to do some reading, Profitable Betting Exchange Strategies, provided by Peter Webb at the Betting Exchange Academy course.

With a well disciplined start, being a little more selective with the races I traded, adjusting stake and strategy to match my abilities etc. etc. the first few races went according to plan.

After that I went a bit awry, I carried the 15:15 in-play and was staring at a mind numbing £68 red before the race finished. Fortunately it worked out ok for me in the end with a profit of £44.78 in the race.

With this indiscipline I quit for the afternoon, considering myself to be extremely lucky that I was over £50 up instead of £90 down. However, the pull of trading, despite the stress sometimes I still really enjoy it, got me back at the PC just over an hour later. This time I did exactly the same thing and it didn’t work out.

Why is it? Your mind knows the correct thing to do but it also prevents you from doing it, despite the most obvious dangers. 7 weeks I went without taking a trade in play but it still catches me now. Fortunately the loss was so much less than the win and I ended with a profitable day.

If I had exited at the correct time on the 2 races my net P&L for the day would have been around £6.00, if both had gone wrong for me my net would have been a loss of about £92.00. As it happens I ended the day nearly £42.00 up and feel I need to do some work on my mindset.

So, I doubt I will trade over the weekend, I think I’m too dangerous for my own good at the moment and will come back refreshed on Monday / Tuesday next week.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers


3 comments:

  1. Hi andy,dont accept the losses as negatives,they are just the cost of doing business.Love the blog its good and honest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    I used to make some really crazy decisions in the heat of trading, and when it was all over, sit there and wonder what just happened. My own brain seemed to become my worst enemy. The book by Mark Douglas I recommended to you when you first started this blog helped.

    You might find the following blog of interest too:

    http://traderpsychology.blogspot.com/

    It's aimed at Stock Market traders, but is relevant to betfair trading too. It's no longer updated, but it's still a great read.

    In it Dr Hong explains that when we get a rush of adrenaline, the blood is drawn away from the rational part of our brain to the 'fight or flee' part, so we end up making daft decisions. So I guess the secret is to stay calm. Which as we all know is easier said than done:) I've spent bloomin' hours reading that blog, but it's a subject that fascinates me anyway.

    Take care and good luck!

    SteveJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Playslip

    Glad you like the blog and thanks for the comments.

    ==================================

    Hi SteveJ

    I will have to invest in the book and I will definitely check out the blog, in fact as I’ve about 20 mins to spare I’ll go and have a look at the blog now.

    ==================================

    Thanks for your comments and I appreciate the support.

    Cheers

    Andy

    ReplyDelete