Tuesday 23 June 2009

One of my Better Days

I’m not talking about the profit level but more about the method of its achievement.

Last Friday I didn’t trade the afternoon but spent some time reading “Trading in the Zone” and watching the markets. The reading caused me to look at the markets slightly differently, not so much as the enemy, but more as the opportunity to be taken.

After a couple of hours I couldn’t resist the temptation to trade and, taking note of what I’d read and noticed, I traded the 17:20 Musselburgh for a few minutes. To cut a long story short I traded some £550 in those few minutes, some going against and some going for me. In the end I profited by £1.28.

The most noticeable thing to me was my attitude to what was actually going on whilst I traded. There was no sense of alarm when the trade went against me, it was a case of moving on and looking for the next opportunity.

On Saturday I was raring to go for a full afternoon of trading but Mrs TG had other ideas, though I did manage to trade the 16:55 Newmarket for a profit of £0.71. I adopted the methods used Friday and, thankfully, the same mindset and came away quite full of confidence.

I did a bit more reading on Sunday & Monday and made sure I was away early from work today, and rested well, for some trading this afternoon.

By the time I sat down at the PC this afternoon I was brimming with confidence so, to avoid any potentially damaging repercussions from some poor trading, I immediately halved my stake. I am now using £0.50 tick sizes as I feel it puts my bank under no real pressure but, if things go well enough, I will have no real issue in raising the stakes.

So, this afternoon bought, what I feel to be, some extremely good trading although I would like to have done much more. The trades I made were, generally, good decisions and despite some turning against me initially I profited in every race. I usually get at least a couple of scratch and / or losing races.

My turnover, at £423, wasn’t as high as I thought it would have been but turning in a profit of £2.39 gives me the highest % return (0.56%) I’ve had from pure trading for some while.

Although I am not new to trading it is nearly 6 months since I started this current regime and I do believe that I have achieved something this last week or so. I have said many times that my fear of losing tends to rule my mind but I feel this has changed somewhat recently and has made me look more at the opportunities presented.

There is still a little time to go but I am on course for a small profit for June. I would like to think I am beginning to pass that “Don’t Lose Money” stage and maybe over the coming months I can turn in regular profits.

Now, by saying that I’ve probably spoilt any chance of a profitable month, so here’s to tomorrow.

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you feel things are improving Andy, the confidence side of trading is one of the most important things you need to trade effectively.

    Not sure how you're calculating your % return by turnover but I'd probably be a bit concerned at the low % you're getting as it leaves little room for error and wouldn't be stepping up stakes just yet.

    Ideally you should calculate the % return as a % of the back stakes you place intot the market. As traders we should always be greening up so the lay turnover has no bearing on your calc as that's dependant on the prices you lay whereas just using the back stake will give a fair indication of your profitability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve

    I've never really been sure of a good measure of profitability or how others actually calculate it for themselves.

    I will calculate the % return as you suggest, against the back stake only, and see how that fares for now.

    I guess that halving any previous "turnover" figures or doubling the % returns will give you an idea of what I am currently capable of.

    Thanks for the comment and advice.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete