Thursday 2 July 2009

How did June Go

Having set upon myself to be more disciplined from the beginning of June I think I’ve had a good month. More with my discipline than profit, but a profit I have made.

The difference between June and other months is purely the discipline. I still get frustrated at times and the temptation is always there to push too far, especially to “recover” a losing position. However, this has really only caught me out on one occasion, the early £3 loss in the graph below.

What is apparent from the graph is that the two big losses (£3+ each) account for roughly the same as my profit for the whole month. So had they been managed better, to the tune of my worst race losses over the period, my profit would have been around £10 - £11 rather than the £6 it was.

Yes, I pinched the graph idea from “Bet Your Life Sports Trading”, I like it, it’s better and more informative than looking at a spreadsheet. I like the blog too, it’s a good read.

I “back” traded just over £2,200 in June, far less than I have done in the three previous months, but it has been far more structured than before. The ROI comes in at 0.27%, nowhere near where I want to be but in previous months half a dozen or so bad trades or decisions had cost me much more than the profit in each of those months. Not this time though!

Overall, I’m quite happy with my performance for June. They are not outstanding figures but nice and steady. I seem to be managing my exit strategy much better than I used to and, I believe, I am also managing my entry points better.

My time has been rather limited in June and I would have preferred to have had many more races and many more trades under my belt, it would have given me a much better sample to evaluate my progress.

Finally, for this post anyway, I don’t know whether it is co-incidence or as a result of, but the first race traded with over a £1.00 profit was just after I picked up and started reading “Trading in the Zone”

We’ll just have to see.

Cheers


4 comments:

  1. hello andy, firstly thank you for the blog it is a very good read. may I ask how you made this graph, would like to display my results like this. i'm not great with excel as you can tell! so please consider this in your reply!

    best
    john

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John

    I’m glad you like the blog, I do wonder if it is interesting enough sometimes.

    If you’d like to send me your email via the comments (I won’t publish it) I’ll reply direct as I’ve just tried to write an explanation and it gets too complicated to write.

    Thanks for the comment.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. andy thank you so much for your email and vid.

    you're the man!!

    best
    john

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    No problem, glad to be of some help.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete