Thursday 16 April 2009

A Good Poor Day

Or is it a poor good day, I don’t know, as despite the P&L negative I feel I’ve had a good day. I guess I should feel down or whatever but I don’t, in fact I’m pretty upbeat.

The reason must be because, although I lost £10.89 today, a click error combined with my limited knowledge caused a £22.15 loss in 1 race which, I believe, should have been a loss of around £3.00 had I done it correctly.

I’d been using the Bet Angel “Dutching” option again and this time also using the “Take SP All” option when the race went in play. With the 15:20 Cheltenham I clicked the “Keep All” option by mistake, didn’t notice and went off to put the kettle on.

When I came back, less than a minute later, the race was in play but still with the bet unmatched. A quick check on the log identified what I’d done so I cancelled the bet and went to “Green/Red” up on the “One Click” screen. I realised immediately that this option is disabled when using the “Dutching” or “Bookmaking” tabs and then realised I had no exit strategy worked out for this eventuality.

So now I’m trying to calculate, in my head, the profit from the other selections in order to stake an amount on the unmatched selection to lessen the blow, but all a bit too late and it went on to win.

That is my luck sometimes, I back all but one of the selections and it goes on to win. Still, an excellent lesson learnt and I now know what to do in the future should it happen again.

Taking that particular race out of the equation would have seen me with roughly a £10 profit for the day which I would have considered to be very good. Essentially it was a bit of mix and match for my trading but I feel pretty good about how it went.

I’ve had no comments about RUK but today I had it on all throughout the afternoon and, to be perfectly honest, it did not help me one bit. The time delay was, however, better than yesterday at some 30-33 seconds behind the in play suspension on Bet Angel.

Here’s looking forward to tomorrow.

Cheers


4 comments:

  1. hello andy
    pretty good result really for today, like you said would've been a £10 profit if were not for that little mistake.looks like you're making some good progress.are you still using £25 stakes or more/less.good luck and keep at it.
    p.s thanks for the answer on how to define a good trade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mate, wish i had commented sooner on the RUK i would have said to get a dish and have ATR on tv as the delay is about 3,2 seconds, rather than what you have quoted, i have the basic sky package no movies, sports and ATR is free.
    I have found it helps when Trading in-play for about 30seconds to 1 minute of certain types of races for small stakes

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. The advantage of Racing UK is that things can happen or be said that will make a difference to the price, like when they are showing them around the parade ring and they say the horse is 'sweating up' which is a bad sign so you expect the horse to drift in price, or if the owner says he's not expecting his horse to win etc.

    It's something you need to take advantage of straight away so a feed 30 seconds behind isn't going to benefit you at all.

    I've got both Racing UK and ATR and even though I've got them on in the background I don't take much notice of whats being said as I'm too focused on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Anon

    Yes, I couldn’t figure out if I’d had a good day or not but was pleased with how the trading went. My stakes depend on what strategy I’m using but I currently don’t risk any more that £120 and that would be on an opening lay. Obviously the risk is never £120 as I’ll trade out anyway.

    ==================================

    Hi Ron

    I’ll have a look at the Sky package, I’ve only got the basic 2 channel thing and no extras as I don’t watch much TV, more a radio man.

    I’ve only subscribed to the RUK online package and only for 1 month so it’s easy to cancel if I find it no help.

    ==================================

    Hi Scalper

    Thanks for the info. I realise to take my trading a step further I need to increase the advantage you can gain from live(ish) TV. I’ll give this RUK a chance for a while and listen out for the “edges” you can gain but I expect others are getting faster feeds so I will be behind with it anyway.

    ==================================

    Thanks for all your comments.

    Cheers

    Andy

    ReplyDelete