Saturday 4 April 2009

Poor Connection

My original intention for today was to reduce my stakes to the minimum £2.00 and see how many trades I could get through in the few minutes before a race got underway. The intention being to use larger stakes in the future and see how much of the stake I could “recycle” and what difference it made to the profit levels.

This started off ok, with a £0.09 profit in the first race I tried it with, which is a 4.5% return. However it soon became apparent that my connection today was poorer than normal and, despite rebooting and changing the connection mode, it never really improved.

So I reverted to my more cautious approach and staked at normal levels (£23.40 today), which returned 0.98% and 1.92% in the remaining 2 profitable races.

My connection almost ground to a halt with the 16:05 Chepstow fast approaching “inplay” and I finally managed to exit, after several attempts, about 90 seconds into the race. I got caught up in Betfairs bodged suspension in this race too.

After that I decided to watch the Grand National on the TV and call it a day for my trading, which resulted in another day of no lost races but a very minimal £0.80 profit.

David has come back to me about yesterday’s lucky error and I have sent him a little further information so no more on that at the moment.

Have a good weekend, I’m taking tomorrow and maybe Monday off from trading so catch up with you soon.

Cheers


4 comments:

  1. Hello Andy,
    first of all, well done for yesterday's result, of course luck played a good part in your trading but anyway it was a brilliant result.
    It must be tricky to trade when connection is slightly poor, I suppose it could happen anytime and when it happens it could turn painful if not well managed. Anyway all the best for the future attempts.
    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,
    I don't know if you're familiar with Leon's blog - http://dontgiveupyourjob.blogspot.com/ - but he's been commenting on how poor the connection is to Betfair sometimes.

    Every Saturday it seems to be especially sticky for just about everyone, and this Saturday it was really poor, so it's not your computer or Bet Angel that's at fault.

    Good luck:)

    Stevej

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy,
    Just discovered your blog, great read!
    You mentioned in a previous entry (the Exchange Academy), that Dave was winning various amounts on each race.

    What size stakes was he using?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Antonio

    Yes it certainly was tricky but at least I didn’t get caught like John (Turn £1000 into £100,000 blog) although I did check the Betfair screen several times.

    ==================================

    Hi SteveJ

    Yes I do know of Leon’s blog, in fact I thought it was on my list so I’ll check that. He’s also got some trading video’s on YouTube.

    The Saturday connection is a well documented (or should I say blogged) problem and has caused more serious problems for others. I may give it another try next Saturday to see if it has improved but I may well just leave it alone until the feedback on Betfair’s performance is more favourable.

    ==================================

    Hi Anon

    Thanks, I’m glad you enjoy the blog. With the small amounts I actually win I’m amazed that people are interested but thanks anyway.

    I’m not 100% certain on the stake level that Dave was using but believe it to be around the £50 mark. They trade during the course to create a little diversity and Peter’s team email with results as well as the afternoon progresses. It’s very interesting to hear these live results and goes some way to boosting confidence too.

    ==================================

    Thanks for all the comments.

    Cheers

    Andy

    ReplyDelete