Thursday 9 April 2009

Slow and Steady

Firstly let me apologise, I have the feeling this could be a long post and it is not my intention to bore you.

Secondly I didn’t get the chance to trade yesterday. The computer system at work failed at 07:00 in the morning and I ended up doing a 13 hour shift, finishing just in time to listen to Peter Webb on Juicestorm at 13:00. Found out I couldn’t get it live so I went to bed and woke up around 17:00, a waste of a day.

A couple of posts ago I said that I have something holding me back when it comes to making an entry into the market. I’ve read somewhere on another blog (though I can’t find it at the time of writing) that the writer may be uncomfortable the level of stakes they were using and I think this may apply to me.

I feel I don’t use excessive stakes, just 10% of my trading bank and I’m still only trading at odds between 1.8 ish and 5.0. For this weekend I may reduce my stakes to between £2 – £5 and go back to basics, that is not to lose money. I am hoping that this will encourage me to push more trades through the market as I already know that I do not make enough trades in each race because I am happy to make a small profit in a race and move on to the next one.

Anyway, today I didn’t do a great deal but no losses. I successfully had a play at the Bet Angel “Dutching” option by backing all selections at the lay price in the 14:40 Folkestone to a total stake of £20.00, resulting in a net profit of £0.49 and I’ve included a picture in case you’re interested…

I also tried something different in the 15:50 Wincanton with a maximum risk of £2.20 had I not traded out but there was never any intention not to. It was just something I’ve been watching when the 1st and 2nd favourites odds are very close together. I had a couple of successes with it recently but only have a small sample of races to analyse at the moment so I’ll see how it goes for now.

The other 2 profitable races were just my normal, cautious, trading with small profits in each and I had a scratch race as well. All this resulted in a profit of £1.12 for the day.

So today was so slow and steady I guess but I don’t think I was really up for it. I’m quite tired from a busy couple of days at work I would probably have left it go for a day but with no racing tomorrow I persevered, gave it a go, and made another £ :-)

Cheers


3 comments:

  1. Hi mate,

    the comments were from Leonthefixer on Bet your life sports trading blog http://betyourlife.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-just-dont-get-it.html

    i see that your still turning a profit most days, perhaps its time to start upping the stakes say £2 to £2.2, £2.5 £2.8 £3, £3.3 etc that way your confidence will increase with stakes, thats how i went about it, now i use £60 to back and as a maximum liabilty becasue thats my comfort zone now, although i have used my whole bank to back a couple of times.
    good luck
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ron

    Thanks, I though it was a post not a comment so I've just had another read. I'll be checking out the RUK package too as, according to Leon, I'm one of the "crazy" ones.

    Peter also mentioned the importance of TV for trading on the Juicestorm interview so I guess it's inevitable.

    Cheers

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy i have ATR, but not RUK, if races are not on ATR then i listen to Betfairs/timeform radio which is just as informative.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete