Friday 6 March 2009

Ability In Question

I don’t really want to go into the psychology of it but I’m beginning to wonder what I am doing so different to my first 3 weeks. Let’s look at today which, on the face of it, was a fantastic day. My bank increased by 9.96% and the profit for the day was £20.38. Both record breaking achievements for me.

When you look at how I did it, it really throws my current trading ability into question. I lost the first race traded, so what, £0.47 and then got that plus a bit more back on the second race traded, £0.70, well ok then nothing great but not a losing one.

The third race I deliberately took a £1.78 losing trade in-play (the first time in over a week) with the intention of waiting 15 seconds and then equalising the profit/loss. My selection (Busy Isit) must have stumbled at the start as within seconds of the race going in play my loss was around £15.00. With a maximum liability of £20.00 anyway I decided to take the risk, for another fiver I thought ‘What the Hell’. However, during the course of the race, Busy Isit proceeded to win and I greened up just short of £32.00 profit.

I thought this was great and, perhaps, a bit of payback for the times I’ve closed losing positions which would have been profitable if I hadn’t. It was then another 90 minutes before I could bring myself to place a trade, I think I was too afraid to in case it went against me. I did manage a winning trade, after studying a few race graphs, and was quite pleased with the £0.74 profit.

I then, basically, “mucked” about in the last race I traded, very undisciplined, with little thought going in to what I was doing and only succeeded in throwing away just over a tenner.

At the time of writing I am not sure if I will trade this weekend. I think some “revision”, reading and video watching is required. I need to focus on what I was doing right in the first 3 weeks and see if anything sticks out as an obvious difference.

Have a good weekend

Cheers


4 comments:

  1. Andy

    I had a similar day but my results were more even. I felt I rode my luck today, back to basics for tomorrow I think. You cant knock a £20 whichever way you look at it so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Redbrix

    Thanks and you are probably right, never look a gift horse....

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tradergrey,

    I really enjoy your blog. A lot of blogs are really just p/l posts, but in your blog you describe your thoughts and feelings as you progress. Good stuff.

    You touched on the psychology of trading. Some say that 80% of being a successful trader is having the correct mindset.
    There are quite a few books on the psychological aspects of trading, one of the best ones is 'Trading in the Zone' by Mark Douglas. If you do decide to try it ensure you have the one by Mark Douglas, as I think there is another book by the same title.

    Take care and good luck.

    ( Exorcise those in-play demons if you can )

    SteveJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi SteveJ

    Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you enjoy the read. Having to write it keeps me on the straight & narrow (most of the time).

    I will look out the book you mention and give it a read, I still struggle with many of the psychological aspects of trading though I think I'm getting better slowly.

    In-play demons nearly gone, well, none around today anyway.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete