Thursday 26 March 2009

Mixed Strategies

I read the following passage in the book provided by Peter Webb from the course…

“Good trades rarely go wrong from the start, but bad ones do. The earlier you cut out of a bad position the better”

I really should have read this before trading today, it might have reminded me in the 15:45 Hereford as I left it go a bit longer than I should, ah well.

Today I tried a few of the different strategies I’d learnt with some differing results. The most successful for me was the final race I traded where I caught and rode an upward swing, then a downward swing, then another upward swing, all on the favourite.

Unfortunately the damage to today’s profit had already been done by me leaving a few trades just a little too long and it really wasn’t more than about 5-15 seconds overdone.

Sometimes it seem like you are taking 2 steps forward and 3 back and other days 4 forward and 2 back but at least the overall gain is 1 step. Anyway, a loss of £0.63 today but, I hope, a gain in experience and knowledge. Bet Angel is quite an extensive program, I’m still learning how it reacts to various settings and occasionally it catches me out (16:40 Southwell).

The good thing about today is that, in virtually every race, I know exactly where I went wrong and what I did wrong. I think that this is the first time I have felt that confident when reviewing my days trading so I guess I’m moving forward, very slowly.

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. As a fellow amateur trader my p/l is very simlar to yours a bit hit and miss some days i'll make a little and some days ill loose a little but we both feel we are making progress which is the main thing. Having only been trading for 2 weeks now what advice could you give someone in my position who hasnt been on Peters course.And how do you define a good or bad trade.Keep up the blog its very interesting to see how your getting on.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon

    It proved more difficult to answer your queries than I initially thought so I've made it the subject of my next post.

    Thanks for your comments and good luck

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete