Tuesday 17 February 2009

It Finally Bites Back

I’ve been waiting for this day for some time, yes I lost today, -£4.41 and I guess that came from being overconfident to start with and then fuelling that with a dose of stupidity.

My first trade went against me (I can hear you all shouting “no you didn’t”) well yes I did, I took it in-play and it bit me back heavily, to the tune of -£11.76. The second race didn’t fare too well either with a -£0.31 loss. So I’m looking at a -£12.07 deficit after about 25 minutes of trading.

I’ve now taken 7 trades in-play and the others worked out ok. Now this is a very rough calculation but I would probably have been no worse off trading out when I should have done in all 7 than I am now. However, I believe that today’s trading experience has probably been far more valuable than any other day so far for 2 reasons.

Firstly, although I know I should have closed out earlier, having got myself into this poor position and finally traded out I was then looking to the next trade and not dwelling on the loss as I have always done previously. This really is the first time I have felt this way after a loss.

Secondly, this -£12 deficit actually gave me a psychological target. My biggest win on any day was £6.20 and I realised that if I was to turn it around I would have to out perform my best day by 200%. A tough assignment for a cautious trader.

I took a short break, gathered my thoughts, came back to the PC and applied myself to the job in hand. It didn’t work, I mean I didn’t get the £12.07 back but I managed to recover £7.66 of it and for that I made more trades than I’ve ever done in a day. It goes to show that if you push yourself you may be capable of more than you think.

Anyway, once again, I’ve rambled on too long. Here is the P&L for today and I’ve included the race P&L, just for information, as I wouldn’t normally bother.


Here’s looking to tomorrow, I’ve still £4.41 to recover!

Cheers


2 comments:

  1. Actually breaking even on in-running efforts is a bit of a let off! Imagine not getting matched for 2 or more out of 7 races, and there goes most of, or perhaps even all of your bank! Thankfully one bad experience has taught me to never do this again, and yes I think almost everyone needs to have this experience to realise just how damaging it can be. Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Afropunk

    I agree with you and believe I've been extremely lucky. I'm actually pretty upbeat about the experience as I've probably learnt more from it than the run of the mill profits.

    ReplyDelete