Wednesday 4 February 2009

It's Snow Joke!

I don't normally trade on a Saturday, Sunday & Wednesday (other commitments) so I haven't traded since Saturday. I work nights (as a white van man) and the recent weather meant I was very late home on Tuesday, getting stuck in a nearby town with the only routes out all uphill! I did manage to get on the PC for the 16:10 Southwell with a couple of minutes to go and placed a couple of positions but didn't get matched.

Having not traded for a few days I think I'm getting withdrawal symptons, I bought a Snickers Duo for 59p in one shop on my route, only to find that by the time I got to another shop the price had drifted out to 78p and I'm thinking should I have gone in bigger!

Monday afternoon a friend of mine "skyped" me as he had layed the 4 goals or more market in the Olymp. Volou vs Atromitos match at 6.9 for £4. After 2 goals had been scored the odds had dropped to 3.4 and he was looking to "get out" or at least for me to advise him accordingly. In the end he left the lay run and won as the final score was 1 - 1.

Now while we were discussing it I was watching the odds movement in the Bet Angel Ladder interface. There was very little money available and only about £1,300 had been matched at half time but I noticed something in the ladder figures. About every 30 - 60 seconds money was being offered to back the market (about £300 to start with but it reduced with time) then removed and then replaced at slightly higher odds. It started at about 3.5 and went up in 0.05 increments to 4.0 and then 0.1 increments. I tracked it right up to 5.0 and I don't believe any of it was actually matched before I closed Bet Angel when my friend decided what he was going to do.

As I've already said I'm not a seasoned trader but I'm assuming that this person was trying to lay this amount and if matched then back immediately at higher odds. Wouldn't this strategy have more chance of success in a market or match with higher liquidity or have I missed something here. Please feel free to comment, I am intrigued to know the thinking behind it.

I won't be trading again this afternoon (Wednesday) but hope to be back, weather permitting, on Thursday.

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andy
    this had be me laughing out loud

    "Having not traded for a few days I think I'm getting withdrawal symptons, I bought a Snickers Duo for 59p in one shop on my route, only to find that by the time I got to another shop the price had drifted out to 78p and I'm thinking should I have gone in bigger"

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete